Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Cooking for One, Part Two



Pictured above is what I'll be eating for the rest of the week. I suppose I should have included a coin or something in the photo for scale, but suffice it to say, there's a lot of tabouli in that bowl. 

It all started on a recent trip to Hawaii. One of my traveling companions had decided to go vegan shortly before we left. We had a kitchen where we were staying, so we were planning to prepare some meals. We were discussing potential menus before the trip, and wanting to support his dietary choices, I enthusiastically offered "I'll make tabouli one night!" However, I wasn't sure if couscous was readily available in your average Hawaiian supermarket. Also, if you have been fortunate enough to travel to the Islands, Valued Reader, then you know the shock you experience the first time you set foot in a grocery store in Hawaii and look at the prices. So, I thought, it would make total sense to get some couscous before leaving and just pack a little bag of it in my luggage. So off to Trader Joe's I went. (See? Again with the Trader Joe's)

Anyway, we got to Hawaii and I made my tabouli and it was delicious (well, a little soggy to tell you the truth, but whatever), but I was left with some couscous at home when I returned. So today was the day to turn it into a salad. And the results are documented above. I spent the last hour chopping vegetables, just for one stupid salad. And you know what is a royal pain in the ass to deal with? Parsley. 

1 comment:

  1. I think you should use bulgur in your tabouli, but that's just me.
    Love your blog.
    barbara

    ReplyDelete